Tuesday, March 2, 2010

M-back

I havent really been writing in a while. Maybe its the weather. I've never quite understood Providence weather. I've been here four years and I still dont get it. I think the weather is partly to blame for my mood swings. The weather seriously swings. Its warm and sunny and chirpy and happy now, but any second we're expecting a thunderstorm, says the oh-so-white-and-unfazed-by-strange-moving-screen-behind-him weatherman. What on earth? Seriously? I dont ask for much. Just good old consistency. It makes me wonder if London is better than this. At least its consistently depressing. This is just plain ridiculous if you ask me.

Anyhow. This wasnt meant to be a post about the weather. I'm not even sure what I started out to write about. I was reading one of my older posts (umm yeah, like 4 posts old of the giant collection of 10). The one about music made me want to re-hash my musical thoughts. And unfortunately I realized I havent had any musical thoughts in a while. I used to when I was a teenager but not for a very long time. And so I dug out some Beatles. The Anthologies. My favourites when I was younger were definitely 'Imagine' and 'Let it Be', but for some reason 'Hello Goodbye' and 'Lady Madonna' and 'Across the Universe' resonated a lot more. I like 'em Beatles. I really do. How I've wished when watching their old videos that I could be a screaming groupie with flowers in my hair and devote my life to their cause. Or scream 'na na na na' at the end of 'Hey Jude' at the top of my lungs in a live concert. Like the concert where they let people come on stage and crowd around them while they sing '..make it better better better aaaaaaaaaahhhh!!'. Sigh. All I've got is crappy youtube videos that dont even hold the camera on McCart-breaking-my-heart-ney long enough for me to swoon.

But then going back to my musical thoughts, I did have one right now while orgasming over the thought of doing their harmonies for them in a crowd. I wish I were a backup vocalist. Thats what I wish. A famous backup vocalist if there ever were such a thing. The girl who sang for them all. From them Beatles and Queen, to them divas - madame Streisand and Aretha Franklin, or even to the new age acoustic-ers. Loverly. Mimi the backup. Or Mimi the back. Or just M-Back. Or maybe not. That sounds dangerously close to Tupac. But either way you get the drift. I would spend my time figuring out seconds, train my own little band of backups maybe, swing left and right in a little black dress, right behind Aretha, click my toes and snap my fingers and bask in the glory of their attention. And when I'm sixty I would tell my grandchildren how I was such a diva! Rather than such a sociologist. Umm yeah no.

Khair. Ab jo ho gaya so ho gaya. I will settle for youtube. But when I sing them backups in the shower, I will pray that someday Lennon's spirit will pass by my window and appreciate them vocals. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Word, sister. All my life, I wanted to do backup too. Except I'm not HALF as brilliant a singer as you. Something about being a rockstar but not dealing with the fame-wala-headache (!).

    I would go for any concert M-back sang at.
    Any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! How sweet is that? I am touched sister. I am.

    Maybe now I will re-pursue singing. Or backup singing :) We should start our own backup troupe!

    ReplyDelete